When selecting the proper hearing protection devices, or HPDs, the Hearing Conservation Program recommends considering the following:
- Is the environment indoors or outdoors?
- Is the noise exposure continuous or intermittent?
- How loud are the surrounding equipment, vehicles, and weapons?
- Is the noise exposure continuous or is it impulse noise?
- Is communication critical to the situation?
- Does the HPD provide enough noise reduction to safeguard your hearing while allowing you to hear?, and
- How durable, comfortable, and effective is the HPD?