Skip main navigation

Military Health System

Clear Your Browser Cache

This website has recently undergone changes. Users finding unexpected concerns may care to clear their browser's cache to ensure a seamless experience.

Skip subpage navigation

Reproductive Health: Additional Resources

Additional Resources


Does TRICARE maintain a list of providers who perform abortions in states that allow abortions? Where can I find that information?


DOD does not maintain a list of private sector providers who provide abortion care. Beneficiaries in need of covered services should engage with their Primary Care Manager or OB/GYN for a referral to a provider in their community. Beneficiaries may also call their TRICARE managed care support contractor (MCSC) for assistance in obtaining covered services. General information regarding access to reproductive health care, including abortion, can be found at


What other type of support services, such as financial support, might be available to help families with pregnancies?


DOD’s Office of Military Community and Family Policy establishes policy for the provision of a range of support services to help military families with major life events, such as a pregnancy.

  • Installation-based Military and Family Support Centers provide programs and services to increase resilience. These programs and services include non-medical counseling, personal and family life education, financial readiness, and information and referral services.
    • The New Parent Support Program is a program for expectant parents or those with children ages three and younger and offers pregnancy and parenting education and support primarily through home visitation services. New Parent Support Program staff are child development professionals, including registered nurses and clinical social workers, who are able to connect new and expectant parents to local pregnancy and parenting related resources. It is available to Service members, eligible spouses and partners. In some locations, they may also offer pregnancy and parenting related groups and classes.
    • Family Advocacy Program personnel and staff address child abuse and neglect and domestic abuse through prevention, early identification, intervention (i.e., clinical services), victim advocacy, and abuser treatment when appropriate.
    • Military and Family Support Centers also provide access to military or service relief organizations who may provide financial assistance and support in the form of no interest loans, grants, and other assistance programs.
  • Military and Family Life Counseling services support military members and families with licensed mental health providers who provide non-medical counseling and psychoeducational presentations on various topics to include parenting, communication, stress, and relationship issues.
  • Military OneSource is available 24/7 (800-342-9647) to support the holistic needs of military families. Services include confidential non-medical counseling, financial counseling, peer-to-peer support, and specialty consultation sessions for expectant parents. Depending on the specific need or request, Military OneSource can also facilitate connections to installation- and community-based services.

In addition to providing help with accessing military resources, Sexual Assault Response Coordinators can provide information about a range of off-installation services, some of which may be able to provide or assist with obtaining crime victim compensation or limited financial assistance. The availability of off-installation services varies by location and by state. Information about off- installation (no DOD affiliation) services can also be obtained from DOD Safe Helpline, the sole secure, confidential, and anonymous crisis support service specially designed for members of the Department of Defense community affected by sexual assault. (877- 995-5247).


Can a Service member or family member get assistance from a judge advocate if charged with violating state criminal laws concerning abortion for actions outside the scope of their official duties?


A Service member or family member who is charged by civilian authorities with violating state criminal law for actions outside the scope of their official duties should consider retaining a private attorney. A legal assistance office at the Service member’s installation may be able to help the Service member or eligible family member identify private attorneys who are licensed to practice in the local jurisdiction. Service Members and eligible family members are also able to receive legal assistance in connection with their personal civil (non-criminal) legal affairs, subject to the availability of legal resources, but generally will not be provided advice regarding violations of state criminal law charged by civilian authorities.

Last Updated: February 27, 2024
Follow us on Instagram Follow us on LinkedIn Follow us on Facebook Follow us on X Follow us on YouTube Sign up on GovDelivery